Big hearty salads are great! They can:
- form a main meal, on their own or by combining a few of them, serving them with soup or with grilled meat/fish/mushrooms,etc.
- be made in advance to dive into at any time
- last a few days in the fridge, covering several meals
- make great packed lunches and picnic foods
- pad out a feast when you have a last-minute panic that you won't have enough food for everyone
- be just the thing for really hot weather
- boost your health
- be easily adapted to suit your tastes.
I've shared some of my ideas for substantial salads here.
I'd love to hear yours.